A few weeks ago, I ventured down to Key West, FL, with my bff Chellsey. Seeing as I’ll be moving out of Florida in a few weeks, it seemed like a now or never opportunity to hit the southernmost point of the US! We decided to spend a long weekend seeing the sights, and we had an absolute blast. Check out the highlights below – and if you’re hitting the Keys anytime soon, I’ve mentioned a few must-see places & tricks to navigating like a local and not a tourist 🙂
- Bahia Honda State Park – Located in Big Pine Key, this public beach is to die for. If you aren’t paying attention, you’ll drive right past the entrance. For around $8, you can have all the beach your little heart desires. Shallow shore and crystal clear water…a must stop if you’re going to KW, since Key West isn’t known for its beaches.
2) Dante’s – if you’re into the whole day drinking at a pool full of young people, then you must spend a day at Dante’s. I suggest going on a Saturday, as it’s much more lively during Saturday’s than on Sunday’s. A DJ is always playing, and it’s a complete blast.
3) Sloppy Joe’s – a Key West Staple. Live music & good beer. Plus, they have killer nachos. The place has a Harry’s Chocolate Shop vibe, but for adults and not drunk college kids.
4) The Flying Monkey -Located on Duval Street, as is everything else there is to do. I suggest doing an impromptu Duval Street bar crawl, and starting off at The Flying Monkey for a frozen alcoholic drink. Across the street from TFM is a 3-story building with a different bar on each floor…on the top is Garden of Eden…which is a clothing-optional rooftop bar.
5) THERE IS NO UBER. – This totally shocked us, as we are avid Uber users. If you aren’t staying near downtown, you’ll need to take a cab. Be prepared to spend anywhere from $10-20 per ride if you aren’t staying where the magic is.
6) Brunch at Blue Heaven – Get there early, and be prepared to wait. Mimosas and Bloody Mary’s will tide you over until a table is ready, but the food is definitely worth the wait. Comes out quick and hot. I recommend the banana pancakes with a side of eggs and bacon. Nuff said.