Hi friends! This past week, I traveled to New Hampshire with my fiancé for his cousin’s wedding, and boy did we have a blast (congrats Emy & Scott!). While there, Colin’s other cousin, Anna, agreed to do my makeup and I loved the results!
Today, I have my very first guest post featuring Anna herself. She has a description of all the products she used while completing my look, and I have pictures to accompany each item. Give her Instagram @onthevergedaily, a peek to see some of her amazing looks! All pictures were shot by Anna herself.
- Primer- It’s always important to start off with a smooth base that your foundation can go on top of. To achieve this, start off with a primer. My go-to primers are as follows: Make Up Forever Step 1 Smoothing Primer to soften the texture and pores in my skin to create a smooth base, and (believe it or not) Nivea Men Replenishing Post Shave Balm. This Nivea Aftershave Balm contains Glycerin, which acts as a glue between your skin and whatever you put on top of it. Glycerin is used in many eye primers to keep the eye shadow on all day. Using this as a primer will keep your foundation on all day as well.
2. Foundation- For foundation, especially in the summer, I like to keep it light and comfortable. No one wants to be sweating under a heavy foundation and three layers of powder. I have three favorite foundations for all year round. The first two are both light: Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation and Diorskin Airflash Spray Foundation. These foundations even out my skin tone and conceal spots when needed, they both feel and look like my skin when applied. My third favorite is a foundation that gives more coverage, Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Water Foundation (Drugstore alternative- Covergirl Outlast Stay Fabulous Foundation). This foundation is water-based so it still feels light but it gives more coverage for an airbrushed skin finish.
3. Concealer- I restrict my concealer application to under my eyes and my chin to avoid any and all caky effect. I mix two concealers with different undertones to cancel out dark circles and redness; NYX HD Concealer and Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Complete Coverage Concealer. For both concealer and foundation I use a Beauty Blender to create and even, and flawless base.
4.Powder- When you keep your foundation and concealer light, you can also keep your powder light. My go-to powder is the Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder, I use a fluffy brush to dust this under my eyes, on my chin and the corners of my forehead. This method keeps me looking natural but not greasy. For powder I will use any large fluffy brush, such as MAC 134 Large Powder Brush.
5. Bronzer- I am quite pale, so using bronzer has always been something I take caution in, but I have finally found two bronzers that make me look more healthy and alive rather than the ghostly tint I usually have. These two saviors are: Too Faced Chocolate Soliel Medium Matte Bronzer, and Make Up Forever Pro Sculpting Duo in 01. For bronzer I like to use a paddle brush for a precise yet natural application, I use the MAC 135 Large Flat Powder Brush.
6. Blush- I often sit with my head resting on my hands, which consequently wears off my blush. I have found a solution to that problem, and it’s not quitting my bad habit…it’s 12-hour blush. Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush in Fearless is my everyday go-to, especially in summer. For blush, I usually use a large stippling brush to get a natural finish, for example, MAC 187 Duo Fiber Brush.
7. Setting Spray- Setting Spray is something I cannot live without. I spray it after I have finished my base, at the end of everything, and at various points throughout the day. My all-time favorites are the Urban Decay Setting Sprays. I mostly use De-Slick and All Nighter. However, if I know I will be in the sun all day or in water, I use Supergoop Defense Refresh Setting Mist with Rosemary. This spray has SPF 50 and you can feel as soon as you spray it that your makeup will not budge through anything. This spray is a summer life saver for my pale, sensitive, and oily skin.
8. Eyebrows- While the setting spray is drying into my skin, I do my eyebrows. My favorite eyebrow products are ELF Eyebrow Kit, which is a steal at $3, and Anastasia Beverly Hills Clear Eyebrow Gel, which is less of a steal and more of a splurge at $22. I find this duo won’t budge through the day and makes my eyebrows exactly the way I want them. I use the Anastasia Beverly Hills #12 brush with these products.
- Primer- My go-to primer is MAC Paint Pot, specifically in the shade Soft Ochre. Putting this all over my lid and setting it with a shadow in a similar color will keep the eyeshadow from creasing, transferring or fading all day.
- Shadow- I don’t have a specific favorite brand of eyeshadows because honestly, I like too many. But my go-to eyeshadows for ANY look are Makeup Geek Eyeshadow Pans. They are extremely pigmented, super blendable and the colors and finishes vary so much. They have everything you could need. For brushes, I use all kinds and I have no particular preference for eyeshadow.
- Eyeliner- When I do liner, I always go for liquid liner and my favorite is Kat Von D Tattoo Liner in Trooper. This liner stays on my eyes all day and never transfers to my upper lid.
- Mascara- My favorite mascaras are Too Faced Better Than Sex and Maybelline’s Lash Stiletto. Better Than Sex makes my lashes seem to grow, its volumizing and lengthening. After Better Than Sex I use Lash Stiletto on my lower lashes and to separate any lashes that are stuck together. I’ve never had to buy waterproof mascara because these two together don’t come off in the shower, in the pool, or through The Notebook. Favorite. Duo. Ever.